Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Thinking About The Future

So, the price of dairy has gone up. Apparently so has the price of eggs and meat. The reason? Grain. A poor growing season has made it very expensive. This is just one more thing for me to think about when planning the future.

I have been thinking of ways that my family can be more self sustaining. We put in a vegetable garden every year but I have to admit I'm so bad at actually taking care of said garden. We rarely get much out of it with the exception of tomatoes. Tons and tons of tomatoes. Even though I have been so lazy when it comes to tending to my garden I have learned so much about what we can grow, what will actually grow here. This year I'm going to use those lessons and get serious about my past time. I want to be able to feed my family with my garden. I want to be able to can food for the winter. This year we WILL build the potato box.

This spring I will be getting chickens too. We go through quite a lot of eggs and it feels like every week the cost of eggs is just a little bit higher. I think raising chickens with also be a great learning experience for the kids. The responsibility of chickens will be a good thing.

Richard has been plotting out our freedom from hydro as well. He would like us to be off the grid and I agree. He's coming up with plans for solar and wind power. He is a total nerd for this kind of technical stuff so he's been running with it. It feels really good to see him so excited and committed to a plan. We won't be going with solar or wind power in this house since we hope to sell this year so he has lots of time to come with a solid plan. We need to be less reliant on commercial hydro. The bills have been insanely high and they will only get higher, unfortunately.

There are so many changes I want to make for the benefit of my family's future. Changes that need to happen. I just need to remember to take it one step at a time. I get so overwhelmed just thinking about everything all at once. One step at a time, Erikka. One step at a time.

No comments: