Wednesday, March 9, 2011

New Things are Comin'!!

Keep an eye out here for some changes, folks! Thanks to my oh-so-awesome friend I am starting a new and exciting adventure on the internets. Woot!

In the meantime.. PLAYDOUGH! Who doesn't love homemade playdough? Kneading the warm, just made dough in your hands. Forming balls and pancakes and swirls and little people and animals. Even as a grown up I enjoy homemade playdough.

The kids and I decided to make some yesterday. I didn't want to make a big batch because I hadn't tried the recipe before so we picked a Koolaid packet to colour one ball and mixed it up. By the way, a colour for playdough is the ONLY reason we keep Koolaid in the house.

So after a tense debate on what flavour of Koolaid we should use the group decided pink lemonade was the colour of the day and we got to work. I ended up adding more flour that the recipe called for to get it to the right texture and we learned that pink lemonade Koolaid doesn't make a very vibrant pink. More a a flesh tone really ( this actually proved very interesting for the kids as they have made various body parts with the dough).

Even the baby got in on the squishy playdough action. She sat on my lap squeezing the centre of a big ball between her fingers and squealing. Pure joy!

Today was day 2 with the playdough and it's still going strong. Well, if you don't count the bits that made it in to a certain little girl's mouth. I think next week we'll make another batch using the blue Koolaid packet and hope to get a more vibrant colour.

Here's the recipe we used:

2 cups flour
1/4 cup salt
3 tbsp oil
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 small packet of Koolaid
2 cups boiling water

Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl. ( Note: I think next time I'm going to add the Koolaid to the water. I think it might make the colour more even.

In a measuring cup mix oil and boiling water then add to dry ingredients and mix.

Knead until you have a nice smooth ball of playdough. ( Here is where I added small amounts of flour at a time until it wasn't sticky anymore.)

Have fun!

2 comments:

daydreamer said...

I've made playdough many years ago and it is a wonderful thing to see that young moms are still taking delight in homemade fun. Great reading, thanks.

Erikka said...

I ate homemade playdough many years ago. :P
I think the fun of making your own playdough never gets old.